|Course Archives Theoretical Statistics and Mathematics Unit|
Course: Topology III
Time: Currently not offered
| Syllabus |
Syllabus 1. CW-complexes, cellular homology, comparison with singular theory, computation of homology of projective spaces.
2. Definition of singular cohomology, axiomatic properties, statement of universal coefficient theorem for cohomology. Betti numbers and Euler characterisitic. Cup and cap product, Poincare duality. Cross product and statement of Kunneth theorem. Degree of maps with applications to spheres.
3. Definition of higher homotopy groups, homotopy exact sequence of a pair. Definition of fibration, examples of fibrations, homotopy exact sequence of a fibration, its application to computation of homotopy groups. Hurewicz homomorphism, The Hurewicz theorem. The Whitehead Theorem.
Suggested Texts :
1. A. Hatcher, Algebraic Topology, Cambridge University Press (2002).
2. M. J. Greenberg and J.R. Harper, Algebraic topology: A First Course, Benjamin/ Cummings (1981).
3. E. Spanier, Algebraic Topology, Springer-Verlag (1982).
4. J.W. Vick, Homology Theory: an introduction to algebraic topology, Springer (1994).
5. J. R. Munkres, Elements of algebraic topology, Addison-Wesley (1984).
6. G.E. Bredon, Topology and Geometry, Springer (Indian reprint 2005)
Top of the page
[ Semester Schedule ][ SMU ] [Indian Statistical Institute]